Originally, I didn’t plan on giving these just sweet little cookies their own blog post. Originally, they were meant as a means to an ends for next week’s post.
As a result, I did not given them their photographic due. And for that I’m sorry. But, you can learn from my mistakes.
Do not underestimate the deliciousness of these humble crackers. Toothsome due to the wholewheat flour, satisfyingly crisp and just spicy enough to stand on their own, these grahams are quietly addictive.
The only thing that makes them better is pairing them with a hot cup of strong, black coffee.
Crispy Whole Wheat Graham Crackers
slightly adapted from Stella Parks in Bravetart
- 3/4 C (5 1/2 ounces) + 3 TBS sugar, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, separated
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/4 C (3 ounces) golden syrup (I buy mine here Lyles Golden Syrup), sorghum, unsulphered molasses or honey.
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter at room temp
- 2 1/2 C (12 ounces) whole wheat flour plus more for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine 3/4 C sugar, baking soda, salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, golden syrup and butter. Mix on low to moisten, then increase to medium and beat until somewhat light, roughly 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add-in flour. Mix to form a soft ball (mine was somewhat sandy and just barely came together).
- Scrape dough onto works surface and knead gently to form a ball. Divide in half. Use immediately or wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to one week. If using from fridge, allow to soften for 30 minutes to come to room temp before rolling out.
- Adjust oven rack to middle and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Mix together remaining 3 TBS and 1/4 tsp of sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Generously flour a large sheet of parchment and place one portion of dough in center. Pat into a 5X6 inch rectangle. Sprinkle with flour, flip and dust again. Working from the center out, roll the dough until roughly 15X11 inches and very thin. Slide parchment with dough onto baking sheet. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Score each sheet of dough to desired sized crackers (for grocery store score each sheet into 12 2 1/4 by 4 3/4 inch rectangles and dock with a bamboo skewer (totally optional). Sprinkle each sheet with half of the sugar cinnamon mixture.
- Bake until crackers are tawny brown and firm (finger may still leave a faint indentation), about 20 minutes. Immediately cut through along score lines. Cool to room tempt directly on baking sheets. Can be stored in an airtight container for you to 3 weeks at room temp or 3 months frozen.