Nope, it’s not the ultimate cheer.
It’s Misanthropic Hostess holiday baking! And nothing says holiday baking better than a crappy shot of my freezer.
In this case, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.
I officially kicked on my holiday baking on November first with eight batches of assorted sable dough. While these babies were the first made, they’ll actually be the very last to be baked-off at the end of the month.
As the long time listeners know, I have a contest each year to make this month of madness a little more interesting. The first year was about pounds of butter. Last year was we did ounces of sugar.
This year: Total Units.
Here is how this will work. You all have until midnight next Monday to guess the total number of cookies, candies etc that will be “delivered” as part of my holiday baking machine. We’re going with units delivered instead of units produced overall because while I try to be as efficient as possible I also always leave room from mess-ups, broken cookies etc in the overall totals.
Leave your best guess in the comments section of this post. The winner will get an extra batch of their favorite treat–and yep, I’ll ship. Each Tuesday I’ll provide an update of the running total.
To help you along, I’ll give you some hints:
- I’m making 11 different kinds of goodies (the cut-out sugar cookies count as two because some get sanded while others get the royal icing treatment).
- There are 40 recipients on the TMH list. I admit, this is a bit misleading because a recipient can count as anything from an individual person to a family of seven to an entire department.
- If my math is correct, this will require 40 total batches of the 11 different treats.
- Based on my calculations I will use roughly 20 pounds of butter, 25 pounds of flour, 35 pounds of combined sugars and 15 pounds of assorted chocolate varieties.
- The total unit calculations will not include any add-ons that aren’t part of the original plan.
In addition to regularly scheduled Thursday posts, each Tuesday I’ll update with a running total. This number will be slightly off from the final (total produced versus total delivered) but will be a decent real-time estimate. I’ll also be instagramming the good, the bad and the ugly if you want to follow along: #TMHostess
…and away we go!